Expand my Community achievements bar.

Join us for the next Community Q&A Coffee Break on Tuesday April 23, 2024 with Eric Matisoff, Principal Evangelist, Analytics & Data Science, who will join us to discuss all the big news and announcements from Summit 2024!
SOLVED

How to block IP so as not to waste server calls?

Former Community Member

Hello!

If I block IP using  Analytics > Admin > All admin > Exclude by IP or Bot Rules, then I waste server calls.

How to block IP so as not to waste server calls?

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

Hello again,

There isn't a way.... sorry, but all the potential solutions were provided in your previous request: https://experienceleaguecommunities.adobe.com/t5/adobe-analytics-questions/how-can-i-block-frod-imag...

If the image request is hardcoded to the page (i.e. not referencing an AppMeasurement,js file that you control or using Adobe Launch) the only way to deal with this is to remove that image from the server its hosted on. If you don't control that server, you can try making a request to the owner of the site to remove it....

If you are using something like Adobe Launch, you could build in some logic conditions to exclude the domain where the tracking call is being generated and stop the tracking request before it's created.

View solution in original post

4 Replies

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

Hello again,

There isn't a way.... sorry, but all the potential solutions were provided in your previous request: https://experienceleaguecommunities.adobe.com/t5/adobe-analytics-questions/how-can-i-block-frod-imag...

If the image request is hardcoded to the page (i.e. not referencing an AppMeasurement,js file that you control or using Adobe Launch) the only way to deal with this is to remove that image from the server its hosted on. If you don't control that server, you can try making a request to the owner of the site to remove it....

If you are using something like Adobe Launch, you could build in some logic conditions to exclude the domain where the tracking call is being generated and stop the tracking request before it's created.

Community Advisor

You're welcome.. and I totally get your concern there... its never good to be paying for useless calls... I hope that you can get this sorted out!

But sadly, there doesn't appear to be any way to disavow calls coming from a specific location.

Community Advisor

If you know the bot that is being problematic then the solution to try and remove it from crawling is to fix your robots.txt. Your IT can help you with the agent name it sees in its logs.

There you can specify by bot type/name and even restrict pages you do not want crawled. This will not stop all of them but will help reduce the overall counts that come and crawl. This will then save you server calls.. Its not an Adobe solution per say but will have an effect on Adobe costs.

GLTU