For an ecommerce website, there are some banners on most of the pages and with an event we are counting the number of banner impresisons (if user is not scrolling down for 3 seconds, impression is generated so we assume the banner is viewed).
Taking the following path:
- user goes to page A where 3 banner impresisons are generated
- then goes to page B where 2 banner impressions are generated
- then returns to page A where again, 3 banner impressions are generated
- then exits.
My question is - for this sessions, how many banner impressions (eventX) will be tracked:
- 5 (only for unique banners)...
- or 8 (so banners impressed on all pages)?
Because for pageviews, we are sure there will be 3 Pageviews.
The thing is that every banner impression is generating a server call and want to check if Pageviews metric might be an alternative in this case, so we can renounce to #impressions.
Here is how success event is defined in report suite.
1. Since it is s.tl(), 1 Page View for the page and 2 impressions. If you use s.t(), 3 Page Views (1 on load normally, and 2 for impressions).
2. Yes, 1 Page View and 0 impressions.
3. Since is it s.tl() call for impressions, you cannot go for Page Views (For the segmentation) and that's why there is a discrepancy.
David is right!
I assume that you are tracking impressions in 'event90'. So for your scenario you would have received 8 impressions.
If you use 'Record once per visit' or 'getvalonce' to fire the impressions, you would have received only 5 impressions considering the Page A have 3 different Banners and Page B have 2 different Banners.
And going for Page Views is not the option since you should track the impressions using s.tl() call not s.t() call.
Thank you guys for your answers.
Indeed, event90 is tracking impressions. Here is how event based rules are defined in DTM (s.tl() call).
But that goes me to 3 more questions:
1. A pageview is generated automatically but if banners are impressed, this s.tl() stops the generation of extra pageviews for any banner impressed, right? So for a page with 2 banners I have:
2. If user scrolls down within the 2 seconds and impression is not generated, I still have 1 pageview but 0 impressions, or?
3. Why this discrepancy between Pageviews & Impressions for a specific day? Shouldn't be viceversa according to the settings made and shared above? (Banners not present on all pages, that's why I created the segment below).