Expand my Community achievements bar.

Join us for the next Community Q&A Coffee Break on Tuesday April 23, 2024 with Eric Matisoff, Principal Evangelist, Analytics & Data Science, who will join us to discuss all the big news and announcements from Summit 2024!

Getting this console error : "The following item cannot be handled by the data layer because it does not have a valid format"

Level 1

Hi Team,

I saw this error on console not sure why we are getting this can anyone help me to resolve this.

Mazid_0-1659935767635.png

16 Replies

Community Advisor

What data layer are you using?

When you click on that VM9:85, your browser console should jump to the relevant line in your web page's code that is throwing the error. Do those lines look familiar to you?

Level 1

Hi @yuhuisg 

When i click on VM9:85 it will showing this and its not showing the exact error type.

Mazid_1-1660278261523.png

Community Advisor

Expand the console error message, then click each error line until you find one that "makes sense".

Level 4

Hi @Mazid 

Please ensure that you have all the Adobe extensions installed. 

Also you could open console >> click on settings under the X >> ensure that the Preserve Log option is selected.

Let us know if you still have any questions.

Thanks.

Level 1

Hi @Pankaj_Sabharwal 

I have do this previously also but still getting this error.

Level 2

Hi There, 

I have found that I am receiving the same type of error. Were you able to ever find a root cause and/or solution?

Community Advisor

This usually arises from a recent change made to your built library. So, review your library's changes to find the cause. You may need to disable resources selectively till you isolate the error, then fix it.

Level 2

Wondering if you were ever able to find a resolution for this? I have tried so many different things, but it seems that I keep getting this error and I have now idea why

Community Advisor

Please copy-paste the error message from your browser console in here, and also copy-paste what you're trying to push into the data layer. That info will help us to troubleshoot

Level 2

Thank you,

I am receiving the following error:

kosullivan__0-1696423796336.png

And it is related to the gtag I am loading on the page via this script:

<script>
  window.dataLayer = window.dataLayer || [];
  function gtag(){dataLayer.push(arguments);}
  gtag('js', new Date());

gtag('config', 'AW-10858302079');
</script>

Community Advisor

Am I correct in assuming that you have the following?

• Google GTM-style dataLayer in your web pages
  • "Google Data Layer" extension in your Launch property

Level 2

I do not have the Google Data Layer extension installed. I am trying this now

Level 2

That hasn't seemed to work -- still looking this over 

Community Advisor

What extensions do you have in your Launch library?

I'm curious to know what the _satellite.dlClonerLoaded (seen in your error message) could refer to.

Level 2

We have a rule that copies our existing google data layer into our adobe client data layer. 

I am trying to figure out what is going on here. This has been plaguing us for quite some time now and I cannot seem to figure out how to get rid of these error messages

Community Advisor

I don't think your problem is related to the one in the original post.

I suspect that there's a bug in the _satellite.dlClonerLoaded code. Since you or your developers had written that, then your team would be in the best position to debug this. Try running _satellite.dlClonerLoaded directly in your browser's console to see if any helpful error message arises.

Alternatively, if there's no need to have 2 data layers in your web page (and most times, you don't), then you should be able to rely on your Google dataLayer only.