Expand my Community achievements bar.

Join us for the next Community Q&A Coffee Break on Tuesday April 23, 2024 with Eric Matisoff, Principal Evangelist, Analytics & Data Science, who will join us to discuss all the big news and announcements from Summit 2024!
SOLVED

Get data from dataLayer

Level 2

Hi,

As shown below, I want to get the data from the dataLayer:

data.png

I have configured the Adobe Analytics as follows:

AA.png

But I cannot see the data from the Adobe debugger, where is wrong and what should I do?

Any insights would be greatly appreciated! 

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

It is strange that there is no _satellite on the page as it is Adobe Launch itself and it should be there for tracking to happen. You may need to check and review how Adobe Launch is added to the site and if anything is missing that cause the tracking issue.

Moreover, from your mentioning the data layer, it is better to have communication with the team who manages the data layer and documentation on that. As you are relying on the data layer to track but are not sure how the data layer is being managed, your tracking may be broken someday if the team managed the data layer decided to change the structure and does not inform you.

View solution in original post

6 Replies

Community Advisor

Hi @YZ_J,

Did you try to execute '_satellite.getVar("orderId")' in console first? The data element looks ok and the problem may not be with the data element.

Level 2

Hi @leocwlau,

Yes, in the console it shows "Uncaught ReferenceError: _satellite is not defined
at <anonymous>:1:1"

Community Advisor

Are you using a GTM dataLayer?

Are you using AEP Data Collection Tags a.k.a. Adobe Launch as your tag management system?

If so, you can consider using the Data Layer Manager extension to help you access your dataLayer's values.

But if you need to go with your method, then you should use the dot-notation to access array elements, i.e. dataLayer.0.orderFormId.

Level 2

Hi yuhui,

I'm not sure which dataLayer it is since I'm not the one who implemented it. I saw there is a dataLayer so I wonder whether I could get data from it or not. 

I think The Data Layer Manager is not an option since I did not establish the data layer array, and I have tried to change to dot-notation but it still does not work. So I guess this dataLayer should be a GTM dataLayer

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

It is strange that there is no _satellite on the page as it is Adobe Launch itself and it should be there for tracking to happen. You may need to check and review how Adobe Launch is added to the site and if anything is missing that cause the tracking issue.

Moreover, from your mentioning the data layer, it is better to have communication with the team who manages the data layer and documentation on that. As you are relying on the data layer to track but are not sure how the data layer is being managed, your tracking may be broken someday if the team managed the data layer decided to change the structure and does not inform you.