Expand my Community achievements bar.

Join us at Adobe Summit 2024 for the Coffee Break Q&A Live series, a unique opportunity to network with and learn from expert users, the Adobe product team, and Adobe partners in a small group, 30 minute AMA conversations.
SOLVED

Evar tracking Data, but no Launch Rule or Processing Rule is "filling" it

Level 2

I have a "crazy" problem. In one of my report suites there is a variable, that has - in fact - no source.

• Tracking is organized via Launch, but the respective evar is not filled by any rule nor by the global variables in Adobe Analytics extension.
  • 2nd I checked the processing rules. NO Rule there....

and the filling can only come from Launch - because it is in fact from a peace of javaskript code (activeElement.innerText)....

the thing is - it must be from somewhere...but?

I am quite sure, that the filling comes from "former times" - but the respective launch version has been replaced long ago (at least 6 months) - and there have been several new publishings since then, where the respective evar was not filled anymore....

how come?

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

There could be a Vista Rule in place that modifies data, but given the value this seems unlikely.

Maybe there is an old library implemented in some forgotten testing environment? I would recommend to create a Hit-based Segment for events with the eVar value in question, then use available dimensions in Workspace (Page Name, etc.) or even Data Warehouse (to get the Page URL, Visitor ID, IP address, etc.) to analyze where they come from.

View solution in original post

5 Replies

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

There could be a Vista Rule in place that modifies data, but given the value this seems unlikely.

Maybe there is an old library implemented in some forgotten testing environment? I would recommend to create a Hit-based Segment for events with the eVar value in question, then use available dimensions in Workspace (Page Name, etc.) or even Data Warehouse (to get the Page URL, Visitor ID, IP address, etc.) to analyze where they come from.

Community Advisor

Frederik is correct, you will need to do a deep dive investigation to try and understand where and when the value is being set.. One other thing to look at would be the eVar's expiry... make sure it's not set to something long running like Year or Never - this could mean that the value was set ages ago and the value is still being set to users who get the value set age ago?

Just another thing to check...

It's hard to help you further without seeing your implementation. Good Luck! Tracking down issues can be a hard task. 

Level 2

hi - thanks....found a workaround.

Delete Value once, publish, republish with new value....ok. now.

I never used vista rules, nor "any" different library....so this could not be the case....

I just learn, that Launch is not that stable and reliable, as Adobe would like you think, that's it...

Community Advisor

Glad you found a way to solve the issue!

Sounds like the faulty values were coming from old library versions or unpublished changes in Launch. Launch itself is pretty reliable but can be confusing if deployments don't contain all recent changes. I'm personally a fan of using the "Add All Changed Resources" option and always deploying to all Environments to avoid situations where old values still show up.