Expand my Community achievements bar.

Join us for the next Community Q&A Coffee Break on Tuesday April 23, 2024 with Eric Matisoff, Principal Evangelist, Analytics & Data Science, who will join us to discuss all the big news and announcements from Summit 2024!

Create a Metric that returns a different top Dimension

Level 1

Hi All - Not sure if this exists or not, but I'm curious if there's a way to create a Metric that will return another top dimension. I understand that I can drag a dimension over another dimension to get a full list, but I'm wondering if there's a way for this to appear as a metric "Column" rather than having a drop down for every single row.

For Example - Let's say I've got an online department store and I have a project in Adobe that shows the number of items sold for each section of the site in a day (ex. Clothing, Appliances, Shoes). My project would theoretically look like ( "-" stands for change in columns):

Clothing - 100

Appliances - 60

Shoes - 20

Now let's say I wanted to see the top "item" that was sold in each "section." Usually it would have to show up as a dropdown menu and look like this:

Clothing - 100

Levi Jeans - 70

Appliances - 60

Cuisinart Microwave - 25

Shoes - 20

Air Jordans - 10

Is there a way to get this to be more readable/user friendly and show up as the following in a metric column? I don't need to see the total, but am just looking for it to list the top "item" dimension.

Clothing - 100 - Levi Jeans

Appliances - 60 - Cuisinart Microwave

Shoes - 20 - Air Jordans

The numbers that I'm using outside of this example are far more specific, so I'm not worried about duplication. Hopefully this wasn't too complicated to follow. This would be an incredible feature to have as it would be incredibly user friendly. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

1 Reply

Community Advisor

You can certainly drag a dimension into the column area to show a breakdown like what you want, but with some caveats.

Consider this example screenshot of Operating System Type (row items) and Browser Type (column items):

Screenshot 2021-01-07 at 10.30.08 AM.png

Apple's Browser Type (Safari) is only available on Apple's platforms (Apple Macintosh and Apple iOS), so there are 0s for all other Operating System Types. Similarly with Samsung's Browser Type.

Similarly, in your case, you would see Levi Jeans with a non-0 number with Clothing, but 0s with all other categories.

Also, I think there's a maximum limit on the number of items that you can add to the columns. Or if there isn't, then the columns start to get unreadable as you add more items.