Expand my Community achievements bar.

Join us for the next Community Q&A Coffee Break on Tuesday April 23, 2024 with Eric Matisoff, Principal Evangelist, Analytics & Data Science, who will join us to discuss all the big news and announcements from Summit 2024!

why use "Visits" Level for Unique Visitor in Segment

Level 8
Level 8

Hello,

I try to segment: unique visitors to our website visits only 1 time from "Paid Search" with in 1 week.

I've set date range to 1 week, and try to create segments, from here I see to use "visits" level in segment, Compare new visitors to return visitors

But I am confused why use "visits" level in segment but not "visitor" level.

I made following test and got different result, but didn't really get the reason.

1455937_pastedImage_1.png

Does it mean: if use visitor level, then, for 1 visitor, within his/her all visits, once there is 1 visit have only 1 time visit, then this visitor will be counted in to "new visitor"?

May I have your help to clarify.

Thanks in advance.

H

3 Replies

Level 5

Visit and Visitor based segments can and should give you very different results. A visit based segment will only include the visit where the defined action takes place, where a visitor based segment will include every single visit for a visitor where the defined action takes place.(both before, during, and after the order)

So if I am a visitor who orders on my 3rd visit, a segment that shows visits with orders will only show the interactions in my 3rd visit, but a segment that shows visitors with orders will show all of my visits (both before, during, and after the order).

Similarly, a segment that excludes visits with orders would only exclude my 3rd visit, but my 1st and 2nd visit would still be visible. Where a segment that excludes visitors with orders would exclude all of my visits (both before, during, and after the order).

Level 8
Level 8

Nickhomer,

You are correct, and thanks for your reply.

But as in OP mentioned, my question is specifically on: unique visitors to our website visits only 1 time from "Paid Search" with in 1 week.

In my opinion, the segment would be: Visitor level, visits Exclude greater than 1, which means, Visitor level, visit only 1 time.

Thanks.

H

Employee Advisor

We would need to see the entire report and the exact segment definitions used in order to give a full explanation. There's something that doesn't add up here, and I think it's because there are missing components to the segment/report that we can't see.