Expand my Community achievements bar.

Join us at Adobe Summit 2024 for the Coffee Break Q&A Live series, a unique opportunity to network with and learn from expert users, the Adobe product team, and Adobe partners in a small group, 30 minute AMA conversations.

Visit number issue

Level 2

Hi,

I want to constrain a visitor metric to show only users who made their first visit within a particular time frame.

I started using visit number = 1 but this proves difficult due to AA's visit counting system: "The visit number is based on the lifetime of the visitor, not the selected date range." (taken from here: https://marketing.adobe.com/resources/help/en_US/reference/reports_visitor_number.html)

This seems to mean that you can't sensibly do a calculated metric like visit divided by visitor for a first visit within a time frame.

I’d like to think that this is a known issue. Any ideas appreciated!

Thanks.

2 Replies

Level 2

I have used visit number as well as Return Frequency in some of my segments when doing what it sounds like you are trying to do.  Hope it works out for you!

Community Advisor

could you explain a little bit more what you try to calculate? the example you mentioned would always give 100% (because every unique user must have a "first visit" in a defined date range). But I guess I missed a point...

To get the "first visits" in a certain time range you need to combine 2 cases:

1. visitors with 1 visit in the desired date range: include this visit
  2. visitors with 2 or more visits in the desired date range: you need to get the first visits by do some stacking of visitor and visits containers (basically very similar as the Tip from @audreysalerno: bit.ly/SalernoTips2018)

if you combine those 2 segments you have all the first visits in a certain date range.