Expand my Community achievements bar.

Join us for the next Community Q&A Coffee Break on Tuesday April 23, 2024 with Eric Matisoff, Principal Evangelist, Analytics & Data Science, who will join us to discuss all the big news and announcements from Summit 2024!

Segment based on previous visit

Level 8

nHi There,

I have been using Analytics for a couple of years but I have never been able to get the following segment to work - I have looked on Adobe's guide but I just cannot seem to get the answer.

What I am looking to do is create a segment that shows me visitors who have visited in the last week but have not purchased in the prior visit. The question I am trying to answer is "how many people return to the site if they get an error". Getting an error can be dealt with later but tryingvisit so for example customer does the following:

1st Jan     Visits without a Purchase          <     This would not be valid

2nd Jan     Visits without a Purchase          <     This would be valid

3rd Jan     Visits with a Purchase               <     This would be valid

1st Jan     Visits with a Purchase               <     This would not be valid

2nd Jan     Visits without a Purchase          <     This would not be valid

3rd Jan     Visits with a Purchase               <     This would not be valid

Thanks

Dave

6 Replies

Employee Advisor

Exclude visit container where orders exist

then after 1 visit

Include visit container where page views exists

would that work?

Level 8

Hi Gigazelle,

This looks promising however would this require a visitor or visit level segment? I ask as we would want to build a daily rolling report in workspace and I fear a visitor segment may break this.

Thanks

Dave

Level 2

I think the suggestion above should work.  However, would you be able to add a cookie (lastVisitContainedPurchase) that tracks if a purchase was made. Set it to true during any visit where a purchase happens. Then on the first hit of any visit you would check the cookie to see if it is false and the daysSinceLastVisit plugin to see if it has been less than 7 days since the last visit. If both pass then set an eVar to a value showing you have a valid visit.  Then you have a very easy segment to build based on these valid values within a visit.

As for the errors then you simply need to be tracking errors on your site.  If you are doing this then you could add errors to your segment.

Jason Case

Blast Analytics and Marketing

jason.case@blastam.com

http://www.blastam.com

Community Advisor

i‘m very interedted in this question because it looks like i have a similar question.

davidj85759080​ what exactly do you want? the „whole visitors with all visits“ or just a „single visit without orders where the visitor made another visit afterwards“?

Level 8

Hi urs.boller​,http://

No luck so far - I think it has to be something like the attached:FireShot Capture 4 - New Project - Analysis Work_ - https___sc3.omniture.com_spa_dist_workspace.html.png

The problem we have is that if we want to produce a report that looks at the last 30 days (each day shown) then it will look for visitors who meet the criteria at some point in the month. So for example if I visit on the 1st with no errors or orders but then meet the criteria on the 14th / 15th the visit from the 1st will also be counted.

From a "Time" point of view I need to be able to build a time based on the report date - not today's date.

Community Advisor

could you provide some examples/paterns what you are looking for?

as far as i understand you are looking for those visits without orders followed by a visit with an order, but only show the first visit of those two. right?

maybe show some visitor patterns and mark those visits you expect to have in the segment ...