Expand my Community achievements bar.

Join us at Adobe Summit 2024 for the Coffee Break Q&A Live series, a unique opportunity to network with and learn from expert users, the Adobe product team, and Adobe partners in a small group, 30 minute AMA conversations.

Is there a way to create a segment to show pages published within a certain timeframe?

Level 2

Hello,

Our news team would like a report that shows analytics data for all news stories published in the last two weeks. We have an eVar that captures date published, in a time stamp format, but I'm unsure as to how (or if) I can apply a dynamic time range to the variable in order to have a segment that would only show articles published in the last two weeks. Would I have to create a time dimension? If so, is that something I need to refer to our developers?

11 Replies

Community Advisor

I don't know of any way to make this dynamic. static would not be a problem, just make somethink like "date starts with 2018-11-" to get all articles from this month.

Maybe a way to solve this (only looking forward) would be a numeric event where you capture the days/month since publish date (by calculating the date difference when user visits the article). this way you can create a dynamic segment eg. "days since publish lower 30" or something similar.

Community Advisor

Would this work...Screen Shot 2018-11-20 at 14.58.25.png

The other option would be to create a specific Success event(First publish date) not evar(make sure pagename was also captured at time of event fire). Then run segment to show event exists and last 2 weeks time frame. All would then be dynamic and allow for rolling timeframe analysis.

Level 4

Hi pabloc82923542     

Can you please confirm if the Dimension "Date Published" default one or a custom conversion variable?  I a not able to create the same segment.

Thanks

saneesh

Level 2

It is a custom evar. We are going to try and add it as an s.prop to see if that resolves the issue.

Community Advisor

hi cgarzi

I din't think one of the provided solution (especially segments) will give you what you are looking for.

adamgreco​ wrote a post about a similar question, read it here: https://analyticsdemystified.com/featured/quantifying-content-velocity-in-adobe-analytics/ I think with a small modification you should get what you want.

unfortunatelly, this is all outside of adobe workspace and needs sone time to setup.

If you want to change the setup, just add another prop/eVar to your implementation indicating the "days since publish". basically you calculate the date difference between the user date and the publish date (or maybe the website itself can calculate and provide the value in a data layer). whatever you do, having the value would allow for a dynamic segmentation.

Employee Advisor

Hi Caitlyn, were you able to get this figured out? I think Urs's responses will be the most likely way for you to get this data, but let us know what you've found!

Level 2

We are in the process of trying some of these recommendations; our dev team is working on them. I'll update if we have success!

Level 1

Hey, did you have any success? Our dev team have struggled our end! Cheers

Community Advisor

Date published is a dimension available in our account from the former Adobe Social tool. You can create it yourself as a custom dimension.

Level 8
Level 8

By using the "date published", I consider you will get the result that:

the article is published during your "date published" range AND the artile is visited by end-user, UNLESS the tracking codes are embeded in your CMS as well.

We met similar cases in our KM system, but since the "Date Published" is set as a custom eVar in front-end user only, so, ONLY once the published articles are visited by end user, all tracking codes will record and fire.

E.G., in the last 14 days, following articles were published:

KM01, KM02, VID01, FAQ01

But only VID01 is visited, then "Date Published" will never fired in KM01, KM02, FAQ01 since thery were not visited.

But if it is embeded into backend CMS, once the "publish" is a success event, then "Date Published" will be fired as well.