Expand my Community achievements bar.

Join us for the next Community Q&A Coffee Break on Tuesday April 23, 2024 with Eric Matisoff, Principal Evangelist, Analytics & Data Science, who will join us to discuss all the big news and announcements from Summit 2024!

Firing Wrong(est) alerts

Level 2

Hi everyone,

I created a new alert this morning, in order to let me know when the traffic gets too low i.e. when it drops below 300 page viewed in an hour. This hourly alert is very simple, indeed. Nevertheless, noreply@omniture.com keeps sending me alert e-mails stating that no page views were viewed at all.

Fortunately, these fired alerts proved to be fake: today traffic is as high as it was yesterday, with more that 10.000 PV per hour.

Could someone help me to understand this strange behaviour?

Thanks in advance,

Francesco

PS__Below, a snippet of the e-mail html:

1409204_pastedImage_2.png

5 Replies

Level 5

Francesco,

Without having access to report or data .. the two possible scenarios I can think of are ..

1. Alert was set up on a different/wrong report suite

2. Segment was applied to the alert which does not apply

Level 2

Hi,

I have checked, and it seems the report suite being correct. Besides, no segment has been applied. It is a very very simple alert indeed. This is a snapshot:

1410876_pastedImage_0.png

Thanks

Level 2

Couldn't be a problem with the time zone? Perhaps the alert system checks the wrong hourly range (i.e. not the previous one but the current one), thus resulting in a mathematically zero PV, being data not already rose in the report suites.

Any idea?

Thanks,

Francesco

Level 8

Then maybe adding a condition excluding 0 ? like :
1 < PV <=300
?

Cheers !

Employee Advisor

It also might have something to do with report suite latency - the 0 is because that hour's data hasn't been fully processed yet.

Could you perhaps see if daily alerts exhibit the same strange behavior?