Expand my Community achievements bar.

Join us at Adobe Summit 2024 for the Coffee Break Q&A Live series, a unique opportunity to network with and learn from expert users, the Adobe product team, and Adobe partners in a small group, 30 minute AMA conversations.

☕‌📊‌[Analytics Community Q&A Coffee Break] 11/2/21, 8am PT: Travis Sabin, Senior Product Manager for Adobe Analytics‌📊‌☕

Administrator

Join us for our first Adobe Analytics Community Q&A Coffee Break

taking place Tuesday, November 2nd, 2021 @ 8am PT -  9am PT

Be sure to MARK YOUR CALENDARS with a link to this thread

We'll be joined by Travis Sabin, aka @Tsabin1,  Principal Product Manager for Adobe Analytics, who will be signed in here to the Adobe Analytics Community to chat directly with you on this thread about your Adobe Analytics questions pertaining to his focus areas:

• Quick Segments
  • New Analytics landing page
  • Quick Insights 

REQUIREMENTS TO PARTICIPATE 

• Must be signed in to the Community during the 1-hour period 
  • Must post a Question about Adobe Analytics
  • THAT'S IT!  *(think of this as the Adobe Analytics Community equivalent of an AMA, (“Ask Me Anything”), and bring your best speed-typing game) 

INSTRUCTIONS 

• Click the blue “Reply” button at the bottom right corner of this post
  • Begin your Question with @Tsabin1 
  • When exchanging messages with Travis about your specific question, be sure to use the editor’s "QUOTE" button, which will indicate which post you're replying to, and will help contain your conversation with Travis

**Mark Your Calendars: Be sure to mark your calendars with a reminder to log in here to the Community on 11/2/21 @ 8am PT > from there, all you need to do is hop onto this thread and post your related questions to receive direct answers from Travis

Travis Headshot Summit.jpg

Travis Sabin works at Adobe as a Principal Product Manager over Adobe Analytics. He works with his colleagues to identify trends and improvements to the Analytics reporting interface, specifically focusing on new users. Before joining Adobe, Travis worked as a consultant and a teacher. Originally from Highlands Ranch, Colorado, Travis enjoys sports, the outdoors, reading and spending time with his wife, Aly, and their four children, Kennedy, Quinn,  Hazel, and Kai.

This is our inaugural Analytics Community Q&A Coffee Break! If you're curious about other Adobe Experience Cloud Community Coffee Breaks, be sure to check out our past 2020 Adobe Target Coffee Breaks, as well as our latest and upcoming 2021 Adobe Campaign Coffee Breaks!

Topics

Topics help categorize Community content and increase your ability to discover relevant content.

13 Replies

Level 1

@Tsabin1 - Can you tell us about your favorite "morning coffee" metric or report, i.e. one you check pretty regularly?

Employee

So I typically am tracking feature adoption for things that we have recently released. So I'm usually tracking Unique Visitors and Visits for some of our features over the last few months. 

Employee

Hey everyone! Thanks for joining us for this Coffee Break! I look forward to engaging with you and answering any questions you may have! 

Administrator

Hi @Tsabin1, thanks for taking the time to answer Community questions this morning! This question was originally posted by Community user @GusRubio : 

-----

"Hi all

I created a cohort of first time launches. Over this cohort I want to see how many of these users did an action.
See the table below, on Aug 1, I had 166 unique users opening the app for first time (First Launches), over these 166 unique users 4 did an action on August 2nd. But, how can I know how many of the 166 users did the action on the same day first time open (Day-0)?

Amelia_Waliany_0-1635865848709.png

Based on what I read here, day 0 is not included in the cohort: https://experienceleaguecommunities.adobe.com/t5/adobe-analytics-questions/definition-of-1-days-in-c...

Otherwise this give an uncompleted analysis, even more if I look at the rolling cohort.
I appreciate any help."

Employee

This is a great question and ultimately it is a feature request because as mentioned, day 0 is not included. We've heard this request a few times from a few customers and so we've marked this request and put it on our backlog for future consideration, but currently day 0 analysis in cohort is not possible. 

Administrator

Hi @Tsabin1, thanks! This question was originally posted by Analytics Community user erikv29695725 

-----

"Hi, I wonder why the sum in the cohort table differs from the total sum in my freeform table in workspace..

For example: I am looking at my cohort table and my data is per month and I look at total sum of orders and how many visits that are returning.

The total sum of orders for a month dont match the total sum of orders in my freeform table.

The "right" sum is the one in the freeform table. But why isn't the sum in my cohort tabe the same?

Regards

Erik"

Employee

Another great question. The numbers calculated in the cohort table are using sequential segmentation so the factors that generate the results are slightly different than what you might see in the raw data in a freeform table. So depending on the settings you are applying, you will see slightly different results in cohort than in freeform. 

Administrator

@Tsabin1 such great insights! This question was originally posted by Analytics Community user Wsmith320:

"Amelia_Waliany_0-1635867096883.png

I created a Cohort analysis and for my inclusion criteria I added orders for visitors who registered for a first time customer program. For my return criteria, I wanted to know how many of those visitors who came back to the site and placed another order. I was asked by my client if I could do the same thing using revenue. The client wants to know what the average order size is for the inclusion criteria compared to average order size for the return inclusion. I tried and could not use revenue in my inclusion or return criteria.

1. Can I include revenue in a Cohort analysis?

2. If not, how can I get average order size with the inclusion and return orders?

Thank you

Employee

Good question. As outlined in our documentation, Cohort Analysis does not support non-segmentable metrics (including calculated metrics), non-integer metrics (such as Revenue), or Occurrences. Only metrics that can be used in segments can be used in Cohort Analysis, and they can only be incremented by 1 at a time.

Employee

Wonderful Tsabin1!, following up on GusRubio's last question on cohorts, what are your thoughts on:

I have been using the cohort analysis to understand the user's journey in our app.

I want to know how many users visit a specific screen in our app (ie: paywall) after a specific period.

I select the user who open the app for first time (Segment: First Time Visit) in Month "x"  and the time period "Last full 6 months".

Then, select for Inclusion and Return criteria, metric=Visits and in the Dimensions the screen I want to measure, in this case Dimensions=Paywall.

Note: it is very unfortunate that Adobe limit the granularity to not longer than 15 days (rows), I guess this is a limitation on the tool.

However, I select monthly granularity, I get  the breakdown of how many user visit the Paywall screen break in the last 6 months.

My questions:

• According my understanding, the numbers show the number of unique users who visited the the Paywall screen every month. Is this right?
  • If this is right, how can I know how many time this page was visited every month by this selected cohort?
  • How can I know the unique number of user  from this cohort who visited the Paywall screen after 6 months?

Employee

Great questions. I'll try to take them in order.

So yes, the cohort shows the number of unique visitors every month (assuming your First Time Visit segment is visitor-based. 

Assuming it's all set up properly, each cell should show the number of visitors to that page on the given month. If you want to know total visits to a page, then that would be a different segment definition. 

To get beyond the current 6 months you could extend the date range to see beyond that. Or create segments from each of the cohorts and analyze them separately in another cohort or freeform table. 

Employee

Great information on cohorts Tsabin1Analytics Community user matias-cp-dk has asked the following about cohorts:

Are there any plans of supporting unbounded retention in Cohorts like it's possible in Amplitude (https://help.amplitude.com/hc/en-us/articles/230543327#unbounded-retention)? Today we only have n-day/week/month retention and that's really not the best way of measuring retention on the product I'm currently working on. 

Employee

When we released the Cohort updates a few years back, this was one of the features we had explored, but we had to cut it for scope and put it back on our backlog of ideas for Cohort. So for now we don't have plans to add it, but it is certainly something we could provide in the future.