Expand my Community achievements bar.

#AdobeChat Nov 9 2016 - Holiday Marketing & Shopping Tips

Employee Advisor

Hi everyone! Each week on Twitter, @AdobeMktgCloud asks several questions to the community. Responses are transcribed here to facilitate further discussion. The following are highlights from today's chat around holiday marketing and shopping tips.

Q1: Online sales will increase 11% to $91.6B this holiday season. What mktg practices have helped to drive this growth and why?

Lexi Monaghan ‏@Lexi_Monaghan
Personalization & targeting a specific audience — location, preferences, suggested items related to previous purchases

R2integrated ‏@R2integrated
It’s a combination of the shift in how our buyers buy and how marketers have responded with better shopping tools. The customer journey is simpler online than ever before. The move from Awareness to Conversion can be done in a few clicks.

Becky Tasker ‏@rebtasker
The right marketing mix, personalization, targeting, as well as messaging why it's better to shop online during the holidays!

Livefyre @Livefyre
The ability to provide customers with cross-channel visibility & ordering options.

Winnie Sun ‏@SunGroupWP
Marketing practices resonating our new cultural preference of convenience, and a higher valuation for time.

Joe Martin ‏@joeDmarti
Mobile and digital marketing is definitely leading the charge for online shopping.

Marsha Collier ‏@MarshaCollier
The adaptation of new technologies, and customer convenience lead the way.

David Cooperstein ‏@minicooper
Companies that have figured out how to link device sessions, in store visits, and personalization will lure in shoppers this year

Sue Duris ‏@SueDuris
Realizing that #omnichannel is a huge thing and needs to be strategy where all channels align.

Q2: What are the top three things that you want companies NOT to do when marketing to you this holiday season?

Don’t overwhelm people with ads: If it isn’t perfectly clear who you are or what you're selling, it's basically a waste of an ad.

Please don't 1) stalk me, 2) follow me, 3) harass my abandoned cart. Unless I ask you to

Marsha Collier ‏@MarshaCollier
When you email me, be sure the offers are personalized. You have data on me, please use it

Avoid politics, religion, & deceiving sales. Changing a brand identity to capitalize on marketing gimmicks is a short-sighted strategy.

Winnie Sun ‏@SunGroupWP
1. Blanket sell, it’s not one size fits all, 2. Sell me. Instead, offer me, 3. Not listening

Liliana H ‏@Liliholl
Please try fresh seasonal ideas. We're all bored of the usual suspects that come with Christmas! Also, please don't email me daily! 

Becky Tasker ‏@rebtasker
Please don't provide me with a terrible mobile experience. Apparently, it's more common than you think!

Q3: How can retailers keep their marketing fresh over the extended holiday season? 

Winnie Sun @SunGroupWP
Use smart tech to know what it is I’m looking for, offer a perk, thank me after the transaction is done.

Shannon Ho ‏@ShannonSGWP
Try to stand out and keep up with new deals that are constantly happening.

Sue Duris ‏@SueDuris
We talk about this so much but it's important: having a consistent "story" that resonates before, during, and after the holidays. Chances are good you might catch some folks that didn't know that much about you. Good time to reel them in with engaging content.

Becky Tasker ‏@rebtasker
Know the right types of promotions to give me based on when I'm shopping. @AdobeInsights predicts more growth at the end of December! 

Joe Martin @joeDmarti
I think people are open to marketing during this season. Targeted messages on social and email are valuable.

Liliana H ‏@Liliholl
Keep delivering content that's nice & fun. Help customers end a year with a smile on their face.

Follow the insights your audience provides and start understanding what drives holiday surges for your business. Be more personal, be more in touch. Understand what your audience is thinking and cater to that, not just to the calendar. Keep it interesting, relevant, and timely. Use insights from your buyers to update messaging and offers in almost real-time.

Stay relevant, personalized & targeted to your specific audience - give them what they want, where & when they want it.

Q4: Which retailers do you think provide the best customer and shopping experiences and why?

Winnie Sun ‏@SunGroupWP
Certainly @Amazon has done well giving us the tools of convenient shopping, returns, and gifting through Prime services 

@Nordstrom shines with omnichannel — delivering the right product at the right time, to the right place all the while managing customer expectations before, during, and after the transaction

Liliana H ‏@Liliholl
ASOS has a strong loyalty program and decent re-targeting tactics. It understands customers I think.

Becky Tasker ‏@rebtasker
Any #retailer who provides great discounts, variety, and convenience, and tries to make it so my favs don't go out of stock!

@Macys goes above & beyond to create an environmental experience. It carries through to digital and above all, its memorable. @Starbucks is famous for their holiday themed cups that customers look forward to every year. 

I've become a fan of small brands w/ service, like @Allbirds @rapha  don't get hung up on returns;  @amazon of course

Q5: Mobile will exceed desktop for the first time this holiday season in website visits. What are the takeaways for marketers?

Think small screen, and find ways to lead them to the big screen when necessary. The computer in the pocket dominates.

Simple: mobile must be factored into marketing campaign strategy — even more during the holidays than any other time of year.

Winnie Sun ‏@SunGroupWP
It’s where you have to be. End.Of.Story.

Liliana H ‏@Liliholl
Make your landing pages responsive and keep a good visual balance. UX is key! 

Put mobile design, mobile UX, and mobile analytics at the top of your “to do” list, not your wishlist.

Sue Duris ‏@SueDuris
Make sure you have a responsive design on your website. And then really study best practices for #mobilecontent 

Q6: What would you recommend to companies that need to convert more on mobile devices?

Winnie Sun ‏@SunGroupWP
Automate rewards & coupon programs on the smartphone and sales will increase. It needs to be easier to let people shop

Offer more seamless customer experiences

Simplify mobile check out! People typically aren’t sitting down on mobile because they’re planning to shop. Brands need to make the buying experience something that can be managed in a way that doesn’t disrupt their experiential flow

In addition to cross-session continuity, sites need to have a simpler path from cart to purchase. Forms on mobile are a pain 

Sue Duris ‏@SueDuris
More useful content/CTA's, testing different products/deals in mobile campaigns, cross-promote in other apps

Becky Tasker ‏@rebtasker
Consumers say poor design and search are reasons to leave on mobile . Visits might be inherently short, but UX needs fixed

Liliana H @Liliholl
Integrate mobile with marketing automation to follow up on buyer's intent.

Q7: Consumers we surveyed claim they find the most deals via email. How should companies respond to this information?

Email campaigns allow consumers to access sales/marketing information when it’s most convenient for them

Market surveys and general trends can give you a hypothesis, but they can’t give you a strategy. Email, display, and social can all be a connected experience but data will tell you where conversions happen; optimize for that.

Livefyre ‏@Livefyre
Don't give up other channels. It’s important to have email, social & display strategies to increase consumer interest.

Becky Tasker ‏@rebtasker
Marketing mix at the right time, right channel. Consumers say #email is #1 to reach them while on the go, so mix it up!

Q8: What has been the all-time greatest online shopping experience for you? What made that experience great?

I use @amazon barcode scanner app in stores to compare prices & to complete purchases

Joe Martin ‏@joeDmarti
Great customer service and mobile experience from @zappos @BananaRepublic and @gap

Surprise and delight. @amazonprimenow fast delivery, but nice to find a small, relevant gift in the box from @CompCyclist

@WarbyParker took a stressful task of shopping around multiple stores into a hassle-free, clean, yet personal experience. @MVMTwatches used promoted pins to target Pinterest users searching for holiday gift ideas & created a seamless experience.

What insights would you like to share with your fellow marketers this holiday season? If you didn't have an opportunity to respond on Twitter, please share your thoughts here!

0 Replies